1874: The Name Gamma Phi Beta
In 1874, Syracuse University was home to four male and one female fraternity, Alpha Phi. All of them were Greek-letter societies so the four Founders asked Chancellor Haven, who was a Greek scholar as well as a Latin professor, to suggest appropriate Greek letters for the newly formed College Literary Society. From among his six suggestions, the ladies chose Gamma Phi Beta.
Pictured above: Gamma Phi Beta logo, c. 1900.