1904: Gamma Chapter Acquires a House
In 1904, Gamma Chapter (Wisconsin-Madison) took steps to become the first chapter to own its house. They formed a stock company and sent letters dated December 29, 1904, to alumnae asking them to purchase stock shares at $25 a share. Within six weeks the stock company was capitalized at $7,000 and a mortgage loan of the same amount was negotiated. They selected a lot at 428 Sterling Place, a half-block from the University of Wisconsin grounds.