1958: The Gamma Phi Beta Foundation
Legislation enacted at Victoria at the 48th Convention established an important new fund, the Gamma Phi Beta Foundation, “a trust organized solely for the promotion and encouragement of educational and charitable purposes.” In order to make contributions to the Foundation tax-deductible, it was registered separately from the Sorority as a 501(c)3 corporation in the State of Illinois. At the same time, Gamma Phi Beta Sorority itself was incorporated, and the two became distinctive entities. The Sorority was authorized to loan the Foundation up to $3,000 “to commence operations.”
Pictured above: Gamma Phi Beta Foundation needlepoint.