Alpha Pi Chapter
Alpha Pi Chapter was installed at West Virginia University in Morgantown, West Virginia, on April 18, 1930. Alpha Pi Chapter was closed on May 13, 1984.
Alpha Pi Chapter (West Virginia) began as the local Monongahela Club, organized in 1927. Their petition for charter was granted after investigation by Emma Lowd (Boston, 1887), and they were installed with 16 collegiate members and 14 alumnae. Grand President* Elizabeth Davidson Barbour (Northwestern, 1909), Grand Treasurer Alice Camerer and members of Zeta Chapter (Goucher) comprised the installing group.
As economic conditions changed during the next decade attendance dropped at the University and Gamma Phi Beta regretfully withdrew the chapter’s charter in 1938. An invitation to return to campus was received in 1957 and Alpha Pi Chapter (West Virginia) was reinstalled in February, 1959. Alpha Upsilon Chapter (Penn State) conducted the Initiation and the new charter was presented by Grand President Elizabeth Wheeler Olsen (Michigan, 1929). The chapter was again closed in 1984.
*Grand President is now known as International President.
Pictured above: The Alpha Pi Chapter facility as shown in The Crescent, May 1933.