Alpha Xi Chapter
Alpha Xi Chapter was installed at Southern Methodist University in Dallas, Texas, on September 21, 1929.
Sponsored by two Upsilon Chapter (Hollins) alumnae, Dorothy Shaw Cochran and Ethel Signaigo Everts (both Hollins, 1917), a group was colonized and called Gamma Beta in order to present a petition to the Kansas City Convention. The charter was granted on June 26, 1929, but the installation did not take place until September, although three members of the group were initiated during Convention. The chapter was installed by Grand President* Elizabeth Davidson Barbour (Northwestern, 1909), Florence Mitchell Smith (Northwestern, 1895), Florabel “Flo” Kinnebrew Pattee (Northwestern, 1927) and Eula Fullerton (Oklahoma, 1920). A number of collegiate members from Psi Chapter (Oklahoma) assisted with the installation and initiation.
*Grand President is now known as International President.
Pictured above: The inside of the Alpha Xi Chapter facility in 1952.