Beta Epsilon Chapter
Beta Epsilon Chapter was installed at Miami University in Oxford, Ohio, on April 12, 1947.
Beta Epsilon Chapter (Miami-Ohio) was colonized in 1946 through the efforts of Province* Director Martha Vinson Bernhard (Arizona, 1924) and a group of devoted Oxford alumnae directed by Mary Werts Beam (Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, 1922). Paul Beam, executive secretary of Phi Delta Theta Fraternity, secured the use of a room in the new Phi Delta Theta national headquarters building for a temporary meeting place for the new chapter. Installation ceremonies were held in the Memorial Presbyterian Church and the charter presented by Grand President** Penelope Murdoch Simonson (California-Berkeley, 1909). Twenty-two charter members and the wife of the president of the University were initiated by members of Alpha Eta Chapter (Ohio Wesleyan).
*Gamma Phi Beta reorganized its structure from Provinces to Regions in 2006.
**Grand President is now known as International President.
Pictured above: Four of the original nine new members of Beta Epsilon chapter, 1947.