Beta Kappa Chapter
Beta Kappa Chapter was installed at Arizona State University in Tempe, Arizona, on December 3, 1949.
Gamma Phi Beta was the first National Panhellenic Conference organization to be admitted to the Arizona State campus when Zeta Sigma, a local group established 54 years previously, requested a charter. the group was endorsed by Phoenix alumnae and a faculty member, Dr. Collice Portnoff, and formally inspected by Florence Allebaugh Mathiesen (Idaho, 1919), a former member of Grand Council*. Alpha Epsilon Chapter (Arizona) conducted Initiation at the chapter facility in Tucson, Arizona and 25 charter members became Beta Kappa Chapter (Arizona State). The Installation was attended by many national officers and alumnae.
Conditions unfavorable to maintain adequate membership caused the surrender of Beta Kappa Chapter (Arizona State) charter, and the chapter closed on December 1, 2014.
*Grand Council is now known as International Council.
Pictured above: Some of Beta Kappa Chapter’s charter members in 1949.