Beta Theta Chapter
Beta Theta Chapter was installed at San Jose State University in San Jose, California, on April 24, 1948. Beta Theta Chapter was closed on December 20, 1984.
Gamma Phi Beta was one of 10 National Panhellenic Conference sororities permitted to establish a chapter in 1948 on the San Jose campus. Phi Kappa Pi, founded in 1913, was the local society chosen to become Beta Theta Chapter (San Jose State). The group was investigated by Violet Dungan Keith (University of Washington, 1909) and San Jose alumnae. The large group of initiates went to the University of California-Berkeley for Initiation, and 36 collegians and 22 alumnae were initiated at the Eta Chapter (California-Berkeley) facility by members of Eta Chapter, assisted by Alpha Gamma Chapter (Nevada) and Alpha Iota Chapter (California-Los Angeles). The charter was presented by Grand President* Penelope Murdoch Simonson (California-Berkeley, 1909) at the Installation Banquet held in Berkeley.
*Grand President is now known as International President.
Pictured above: Beta Theta Chapter members who won ski awards in 1954.