Delta Gamma Chapter
Delta Gamma Chapter was installed at the University of Nebraska-Omaha in Omaha, Nebraska, on March 7, 1970. Gamma Delta Chapter was closed on January 1, 1976.
The colonizing of Gamma Phi Beta’s 90th chapter began when collegiate members of Pi Chapter (Nebraska-Lincoln) conducted the pledging ceremonies at the Holiday Inn on October 18, 1969. Director of Expansion Mary Babbitt Bilby (Arizona, 1941) was in charge of colonizing, with the assistance of Field Secretary* Sheila Cornish Sondergaard (Iowa), who remained in Omaha during the new member training period. In a small chapel adjoining the First Methodist Church, members of Pi Chapter conducted the Initiation service for 20 collegians and a group of alumnae initiates. Grand President** Barbara Burns Hiscock (University of Washington, 1939) presented the charter of Delta Gamma Chapter (Nebraska-Omaha) to Sandra Peterson Schmieg (Nebraska-Omaha), president of the new chapter.
*Field secretaries are now known as collegiate leadership consultants.
**Grand President is now known as International President.
Pictured above: Some of Delta Gamma Chapter’s charter members, as shown in The Crescent, March 1970.