Delta Omicron Chapter
Delta Omicron Chapter was installed at Southern Polytechnic State University in Marietta, Georgia, on January 26, 1980.
Director of Expansion Lanier Selzer Moore (Southern Methodist, 1955) announced the colonization of the first sorority on campus when Beta Mu Chapter (Florida State) welcomed 13 at the conclusion of the Province VIII* Area Leadership Conference** on March 13, 1979, in Tallahassee, Florida, with over 100 Gamma Phi Betas in attendance. Expansion Supervisor Karen L. Hedine (University of Washington), Alumnae Field Representative Dorothy Ray Johnson (Southern Methodist, 1955) and Collegiate Consultant*** Karma Burford (Iowa) were responsible for the colony during the extension period.
There were 15 collegians and 13 alumnae who were initiated at Powers Ferry Methodist Church by Gamma Phi Chapter (Auburn). The installation banquet was held at the Atlanta Athletic Club. Province VIII Alumnae Director Jean Brooks Oliver (Northwestern) presented the badge of Clara G. Reed Morgan (Syracuse, 1893) to become the permanent badge for Delta Omicron presidents, and Grand President**** Karen Wander Kline (Iowa State) presented the charter to the chapter.
*Gamma Phi Beta reorganized its structure from Provinces to Regions in 2006. Province VIII is now Region 2.
**Area Leadership Conferences are now called REAL Leadership Conferences.
***Collegiate consultants are now known as collegiate leadership consultants.
****Grand President is now known as International President.
Pictured above: Delta Omicron Chapter’s charter members admiring silver gifts from Grand Council and Province VII (Region 3), 1980.