Delta Sigma Chapter
Delta Sigma Chapter was installed at the Florida Institute of Technology in Melbourne, Florida, on May 30, 1981.
The local sorority, Sigma Omicron Phi, became Delta Sigma Chapter of Gamma Phi Beta and the first National Panhellenic Conference chapter at Florida Institute of Technology, founded in 1958, when 26 collegians, one local alumna and four additional local women were welcomed on March 4, 1981 by Beta Mu Chapter (Florida State). Director of Expansion Mary Alice Adams Betts (William & Mary, 1960) appointed Expansion Supervisor Rebecca Boyd-Obarski (Illinois at Urbana-Champaign) to direct the new member training. Elaine Campbell Simpson (Iowa, 1931), alumnae field supervisor, coordinated the assistance of the Brevard County Crescent Circle.
The Initiation ceremony was performed by Delta Mu Chapter (Rutgers) under the direction of Assistant to the International Ritual Chairman* Cynthia Partain Farrell (Bowling Green) and Expansion Supervisor Nancy Donovan Montgomery (Bowling Green). There were 23 collegians and three alumnae initiates who became charter members of Delta Sigma Chapter. At the installation banquet, Grand President** Karen Wander Kline (Iowa State) presented the charter to Chapter President Kelly Sloan (Florida Institute of Technology). A 1918 pearl badge donated by Johanna Potter Shedd (Syracuse, 1915) was presented to the chapter to be worn by chapter presidents.
*International ritual chairman is now known as director of ritual.
**Grand President is now known as International President.
Pictured above: Delta Sigma Chapter colony members in 1981.