Gamma Chi Chapter
Gamma Chi Chapter was installed at Texas State University-San Marcos in San Marcos, Texas, on February 3, 1968.
A local group, Rho Phi Epsilon, became a colony of Gamma Phi Beta on September 30, 1967, at services at St. Mark’s Episcopal Church, the same day that the San Marcos Alumnae Chapter was installed. Services were conducted by a team from Alpha Zeta Chapter (Texas-Austin), assisted by Alumnae Vice President Virginia Forsythe Vint (Missouri-Columbia, 1936), Field Secretary* Marilyn Bachnik Callahan (Wisconsin-Oshkosh) and collegiate members from Gamma Nu Chapter (Lamar). St. Mark’s was again the site for the Initiation of 30 new members of the Gamma Chi Chapter (Texas State-San Marcos). Conducting the services were the installing team, Alpha Zeta Chapter, under the direction of Director of Expansion Elna Erickson Simons (Birmingham-Southern). At the banquet that followed at the Student Union Building, Grand President** Ardis McBroom Marek (Northwestern, 1934) presented the charter to Chapter President Sharon Kuhn Johnson (Texas State-San Marcos), making the chapter the seventh Gamma Phi Beta chapter installed in Texas at the time.
Gamma Chi Chapter was closed on July 31, 1991, and was reinstalled on December 1, 2012.
*Field secretaries are now known as collegiate leadership consultants.
**Grand President is now known as International President.
Pictured above: Some of Gamma Chi Chapter colony members in 1968.