Gamma Nu Chapter
Gamma Nu Chapter was installed at Lamar University in Beaumont, Texas, on February 20, 1965. Gamma Nu Chapter was closed on June 1, 1993.
The future of Gamma Nu Chapter (Lamar) was colonized with a ceremony on October 3, 1964, by members of Alpha Xi Chapter (Southern Methodist). Mary Glendon Trussell (Northwestern, 1929) organized the group assisted by Traveling Secretary* Karen Tucker Carpenter (Memphis) and alumnae from Port Arthur and Beaumont. Installation was held in the Aldersgate Methodist Church of Port Arthur when 27 collegiate members and there alumnae were initiated by Alpha Xi Chapter. Grand President** Orra Spencer Reid (Michigan, 1926) presented the Gamma Nu charter to Chapter President Betty Lynn Ferguson (Lamar) at the banquet following the Initiation on February 20, 1965.
*Traveling secretaries are now known as collegiate leadership consultants.
**Grand President is now known as International President.
Pictured above is: The Gamma Nu Chapter President Betty Lynn Ferguson receiving the chapter’s charter from Grand President Orra Spencer Reid (Michigan, 1926) in 1965.