Gamma Omicron Chapter
Gamma Omicron Chapter was installed at the University of Kentucky in Lexington, Kentucky, on January 11, 1966. Gamma Omicron Chapter was closed on May 1, 1982.
The first steps toward colonization of the Sorority’s 80th chapter were made in April, 1965, when 16 girls were ribbon pledged to Gamma Phi Beta in a ceremony conducted by Director of Expansion Mary Glendon Trussell (Northwestern, 1929) and Traveling Secretaries* Valarie Scott Bristol (Texas-Austin) and Margaret Mills Cook (Southern Methodist). Nine months alter, January 22, 1966, at the Maxwell Presbyterian Church, 25 women became members during an Initiation service conducted by Marcella “Sally” Gray Cass (Iowa, 1934), International Ritual Chairman**, assisted by members of Beta Epsilon Chapter (Miami-Ohio). At the formal banquet which followed, Grand President*** Orra Spencer Reid (Michigan, 1926) presented the Gamma Omicron Chapter (Kentucky) charter to Sarah Prather Haydon (Kentucky), chapter president.
*Traveling secretaries are now known as collegiate leadership consultants.
**International ritual chairman is now known as director of ritual.
***Grand President is now known as International President.
Pictured above: Gamma Omicron members at their facility groundbreaking in 1969.