Gamma Tau Chapter
Gamma Tau Chapter was installed at Saint Louis University in Saint Louis, Missouri, on November 11, 1967.
For Gamma Tau Chapter (St. Louis), the third chapter in Missouri, Mother’s Day and Founders Day will have a very special meaning. A local sorority, Kappa Phi Kappa, became a Gamma Phi Beta colony on Mother’s Day, May 14, 1967, when 43 women were welcomed by Phi Chapter (Washington University). Director of Expansion Elna Erickson Simons (Birmingham-Southern) was in charge of the colonization and installation, assisted by Field Secretary* Gwen Tolmie Leth (Idaho) and Director of College Programs Jean Cline (Kansas State). On Founders Day, November 11, 1967, Initiation ceremonies were held for 40 women in the new Busch Memorial Student Center by an initiating team from Phi Chapter. At the installation banquet, held in the same building that evening, Chapter President Judy May Cresanta (Saint Louis) accepted the Gamma Tau charter from Grand President** Ardis McBroom Marek (Northwestern, 1934) and was later the recipient of a Gamma Phi Beta badge from Eleanor Garm Hemminger (Northestern, 1931), who made a gift of her personal padge to the new chapter for use as a president’s badge.
*Field secretaries are now known as collegiate leadership consultants.
**Grand President is now known as International President.
Pictured above: Members from Gamma Tau Chapter at their Installation banquet in 1967.